Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Favorite Furber Things [From the Kitchen}

Bacon Soda

Bacon. It just might be the one thing my family can agree on. One of their favorite meals I've made was sausage-stuffed chicken wrapped in bacon, and one of the few ways I can get my kids to eat their veggies is to cook it in bacon. I never would have imagined convincing them to eat kale, but bacon did the convincing for me. Bacon is definitely a Favorite Furber Thing [From the Kitchen].

More recently I made a leek & potato soup with bacon, which also went over quite well. Here's the recipe, as I remember it. I think. Mostly. I'm sure it's pretty close.

Potato Soup:
2 Leeks
1 clove of garlic diced
1/2 pkg of Bacon
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
5 Potatoes, chopped
2 cups Chicken stock
2 cups milk
salt to taste
pepper to taste
thyme to taste
Finely chopped chives for garnish

Cook bacon in soup pot and set aside. Then remove most of the bacon grease, but leave enough to cook your aromatics. Add celery, carrots, and herbs. Sautee until tender.

In another pot make a roux. Add chicken stock and milk. Most recipes suggest whipping cream or half & half, but I didn't want the calories. This liquid will be added to the veggies and used to cook potatoes. At the last, add the chopped bacon. Hope you enjoy!

No comments: