Saturday, November 3, 2012

I'm So Thankful - Pt. 1, 2 & 3

Several friends of mine are creating a List of Thanksgiving. It's just one item a day from Nov 1st to Nov 22nd (Thanksgiving Day) to help give a little perspective as we move into the holy-day season. It sounded like a good idea so I'm jumping on the bandwagon. Here's mine, thus far:

Jack & Grandma Brenda
Nov 1st
I'm grateful for a small moment this evening. While running through Target, Jack was caught off kilter and almost ran into another couple. Without any parental instigation (because I've actually never told him to say this), Jack said, "'scuze me!" 

I'm thankful for two reasons. First, it was another example of how freakin' adorable my kid is. I know I'm slightly biased but pretty sure he is the best little man ever. Also, it made me feel like I'm doing alright with the whole parent-thing when my smart little guy sees & mimics polite behavior.

Nov 2nd
I'm thankful that my son gets excited to eat homemade applesauce. I'm thankful because it's a fairly healthy treat, especially compared to the garbage we were doling out two days ago.


Also, I've never been much of a homemaker, but since Jack I've found myself doing more homemaker-like projects. Gardening. Baking bread. Making dried fruit from apples & pears that I picked. I'm even planning a birthday party with some homemade decor (coming soon to a blog near you!). All that to say, I'm thankful for the ways I've grown being a mom.

I promise not all of these are going to be about Jack.

The Seahawks' Russel Wilson & Brian
Brian looks po'd about the last loss.
Nov 3rd
I'm thankful for my husband's job. For those of you who don't know me well, I'm not an army lover (unless it's the end of the month, as Brian likes to say). Brian works ridiculously long hours. He leaves home long before any sane person would be rousting (5:30AM), and he's lucky to be home by 6:30PM. As a commander, Brian must respond to calls and texts at all hours of the day & night. Sometimes this means late-night, last-minute treks to the base (usually because idiot soldier was arrested).

But I need to remind myself to be thankful. Brian is supposed to be deploying with his brigade this month. But last minute, the colonel asked Brian to be the rear commander, which means he is in charge of the soldiers who are unable to deploy. And like in the Bible, the ones left behind tend to be the screw ups. (Okay, so that's not how Jesus would have put it. Nor are all the soldiers trouble, but give a girl some creative license).

Anyway... back to being thankful for Brian's well-paying, pain-in-the-neck job. He may have to work a bit over the holidays, but at least he's not in a foreign country with kevlar strapped to his body. Brian will have quite a few late nights over the next month, but at least he'll be around for Jack's birthday.

No comments: